WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL ARTICLE--Christmas 2015

WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL ARTICLE--Christmas 2015
Click to read the article

Sunday, December 15, 2013

China---We have arrived!!!

We have arrived in China.  As I was getting very antsy on the flight, I realized what a great decision it was to leave the children at home. I could barely stand another minute on a plane watching the little plane move across the screen was encouraging.  Delta has personal screens for each passenger with hundreds of movies, shows, etc to watch.  If you know me I can't sit through an entire movie at home anyway, but I did watch two to pass the time.  Ryan and I watched one together and got a kick out of the young women next to us laughing through "Despicable Me".

So we admit we're not international travelers--but we're learning as we go.  So thankful to have arrived a day early to prepare for Huahua, pick up a few items, and become accustomed to the culture.  First funny fact--departing Detroit, a bird (which I don't really care for, actually have a fear of them flying to close to me) pooped on me!  Ryan had just walked up as we're waiting to board our plane and right on my hand--bird poop!  He said "I didn't do it!"   I had already spotted the bird an hour or so in the airport....he was onto me!

Onto Beijing,  I guess when you look like this......

......we were a target for the baggage scheme at the airport.  I didn't realize we would need to go through immigration when we arrived, pick up baggage and check back in at the new airline for our in-country flight.  After we found the right terminal.....a bus ride.... lots of confused looks...awhile later....  We we're wisked to the front of the line and then checked in and the gentleman (who we later learned worked as part of the scheme-not the airline) said to pay HIM cash for the bags. We asked a few more questions and weight limits.  Ryan asserted a few more questions and I was about to pull out the paperwork to show the bags were included in the flight and the man backed off and said "oh your bags no charge.....free".  

When we arrived at Chongqing things went more smoothly.  So grateful to see the Lifeline sign waving and Michael, our guide spotted us instantly.  (We stand out in Chongqing)  Not many foreigners in this part of the country.   The children are so cute.  They are just amazed to see us and watch us so intently.  We just wave and smile at them.  Ryan did the thumbs up to a little boy and he did it back!  Our first outing by ourselves-- we followed the tracks Michael had taken us earlier in the day and ventured back to the mall area to KFC. As we got there, we wondered how we were going to order.  The little girl behind the cash register looked at us and pushed another girl up front.  She spoke spotty English and with a few times pointing at the signs and we just agreed to have that!   We're trying to get more proficient so Huahua doesn't think she inherited the not so smart parents!  She might be showing us around by the end of the week!

Michael is a great guide and knows Huahua!  It's amazing he knows about the children at Lovemanor and has worked in this field of adoption for years.  He helped us get formula, snacks, stroller, toys and books for her at the store.  He says she is a very smart little girl and knows everyone by name.   He said she has been a little jealous as she has seen the other children leaving the orphanage, so my hope is her heart will be open and willing to go with us.  As Michael was trying to teach us a few words (my chinese inflection--not so good) I said she'll probably pick up English first --he grinned a big smile and commented how very smart she is.  I think Huahua has the hearts of her workers wrapped around her finger.  He already told us there will be very mixed emotions of her leaving because they are very attached to her.  It makes us very happy to know she has been so loved and cared for here.

Interesting fact--Ryan and I met Dec 15th-- 18 years ago.  When we pick our little sweet package tomorrow (in about 15 hours) it will be Dec 15th USA time--it will be the day we met 18 years ago. Orchestrated by the one who knows all!!!

Pray for her little heart and that we will have the ability to comfort her every need.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I am so excited for tomorrow and you getting to meet your gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to hear how tomorrow goes.

    ReplyDelete